Saturday, February 9, 2008

Dog Day Morning, Afternoon, Evening and Late Evening

Precious Saints !!!!!!

It must have been roughly about seven months ago one Saturday morning when Allie bought home a little ‘bundle of joy’. The bundle of joy in question was a four month old female puppy who is a cross between a dachshund and some kinda terrier. I was not impressed! This really put a major damper on my weekend, my sinusitis had been playing up again and I was not a happy chappie. Of course I loved animals……as long as they did not permanently live in MY home.

I had on numerous prior occasions laid out a very careful and thoughtful explanation as to why we couldn’t get a dog. It went something like this. Allie would ask, “Do you think we could get a dog for Matthew?” I would answer, “No!” Allie again, “Why not?” I would answer, “Don’t want to!” This would go on for a little while until Allie would give up. See a perfectly logical argument from me. Fellow men you would understand and agree to this line of reasoning.

This puppy then totally baffled me with her self promotion/marketing strategy. She proceeded to poo and wee all over the place and chew up our telephone cable, slippers and anything else that was within reach of her jaws. She also howled right throughout the night and kept us all awake. At one stage I tossed her in the bathroom and closed the bathroom door. She then proceeded to tear up the bath mat into shreds while howling even louder then before. I mean didn’t she know that she had to impress me and win me over. Eventually Allie put her in the bed with us. I was horrified, but at least she stopped howling and we could all get some much needed sleep. The next day Allie was in tears ‘cause no one wanted this little puppy. She was going to take her back to the Animal Welfare. I thought GREAAAAT! Now we can get rid of her and life will return to normal. But when I opened my mouth to speak these words came out, “Just give her a chance, let’s just keep her for a little longer and see what happens.” Aaaaargh what was I saying? Then Matthew who had not shown much interest in the little doggy also asked his mom to keep her.

Well we kept her and Allie named her Pixie and then I woke up to the fact that our Lord was teaching me a huge lesson through this little puppy. She seemed to ‘scratch’ in the areas of my life which I try to keep hidden. Through her I had to take another look at who I am, my selfishness and my heart condition (no not the physical but the emotional) and my relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ and my relationships with everyone else. You know when you take a long hard look deep inside your soul you find a whole lotta garbage there. The thing is God already knows exactly who you are but He wants you to have the courage to tell Him, honestly and openly. So He will continuously work in your life refining you and making you more available and more teachable so that you can be used by Him which ultimately gives Him glory.

So as I type this Pixie is sitting at my feet, all content as she gives me her unconditional love. And boy you must see the welcome I get whenever I walk in through the front door, her tail knocks against the skirting board and sounds like a machine gun going off, she is so excited she shakes all over. I tell you something I feel like a king when I get a greeting like that. And ja at some time in the early hours of the morning she climbs into bed with us and crawls down to sleep at our feet.

So how is God teaching you in your life at the moment? Mebbe you haven’t even noticed. Mebbe He’s using that crabby neighbour of yours, possibly that irritating work colleague, your financial situation which currently stinks, Eskom(!!!!???), a relationship that has fallen apart………there are a myriad of ways…..just open the eyes of your heart! The eyes of your heart are your spiritual eyes.

3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. (Romans 5:3-5)

My Desire Lyrics
Artist(Band):Jeremy Camp

You want to be real, you want to be empty inside
You want to be someone laying down your pride
You want to be someone someday
Then lay it all down before the king

You want to be whole, you want to have purpose inside
You want to have virtue and purify your mind

You want to be set free today
Then lay it all down before the King

This is my desire, this is my return
This is my desire to be used by You

You want to be real, you want to be empty inside
And I know my heart is to feel You near
And I know my life
It's to do Your will
It's to do Your will

This is my desire, this is my return
This is my desire, to be used by You
Oo yea
This is my desire, this is my desire
To be used by You

All my life I have seen
Where You've taken me
Beyond all I have hoped
And there's more left unseen

There's not much I can do to repay all You've done
So I give my hands to use

This is my desire, this is my return
This is my desire, to be used by You
Oo yea
This is my desire, this is my desire
To be used by You

LoCTY!!!!!




NB. Thank you all so much for your prayers, support and encouragement in response to my last email ‘God’s Hug’. Adam is doing well now and appears to be fully recovered. What a blessing it is to be part of the Body of Christ!

2 comments:

Tamela's Place said...

that was a great post Locty.. we can learn so much from those little critters can't we... God truly does work in some humorous ways to get our attention and show us our unchrist-like attitudes. They are lessons we never forget cause in these kind of lessons we begin to realize just how loving, patient and longsuffering God is toward us.

Tammy :)

Tamela's Place said...

And she is a cutie for sure that little pixie :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online